Tax Facts

Get Your Tax Refund

If you did not file a tax return in the past three years, perhaps because you did not meet the filing threshold or you encountered a life event that put you on hold, maybe it's a good idea to meet with a tax professional and determine if you are due a refund!

You have three years to file a tax return and claim any refund due. Beyond that, you have no claim to your refund and it remains in the coffers of the Treasury Department.

How might this happen? If you didn't file a tax return, but your employer did withhold federal and state taxes from your paycheck (as they should by law), throughout the year you essentially paid taxes you most likely didn't owe. You are due a refund, but you didn't claim it yet.

Your first step is to gather your records from the past three calendar years (don't count the current year). It's now 2017, so you would go back to 2014 and look for tax documents from 2014, 2015 and 2016. Bring them in to your tax professional, who can also look up your records on file with the IRS. This takes time, so make sure you start as soon as possible.

Hire a licensed professional (such as an Enrolled Agent, Attorney or CPA) to file the necessary documents notifying the IRS what you are doing, and then filing the federal and state tax returns electronically (because it's required and it's faster). If you'd like to file a tax return for a previous year, we are Enrolled Agents, licensed by the IRS and can help you do that.

Where are State and Local Taxes Deducted?
Real Estate Taxes

Related Posts

Click for the BBB Business Review of this Taxes - Enrolled Agent in Melbourne FL

1000 characters left